Sunday, November 1, 2009

Faces of Refugees Exhibit





I had the opportunity to take a few classes of Junior High students through the Refugee Exhibit in the Murray High library. The exhibit was pictures of refugees here in the United States and their stories. I think that these people have been misunderstood. Refugees are not immigrants. They have been forced to leave their countries. They look exactly the same as you or I.
Going through the exhibit just made me, as cheesy as it sounds, proud to be an American. People are fleeing from their countries to our country! People come here to escape the problems of other countries. And we accept them… Or do we? This opened my eyes a lot. It made me realize that I need to be more kind to those who aren’t the same as me, I have no idea why they’re here and not in their own countries. And I should treat all people this way. I don’t know everyone's background, so I’ve learned to always give them the benefit of the doubt. I think this is what keeps me happy in life. Even when someone cuts me off while I’m driving- I just have to figure they’re probably just having a bad day. It’s nothing against me, just a bad day on their part.
This also just makes me grateful for my parents, my family, and my upbringing. I realized the other day when I was simply cutting fruit that I do it that particular way because my parents did. Others cut their fruit differently probably because their parents do. Some people get their hygiene habits, study habits, or thoughts on education from their parents. It’s important for us to each learn and grow on our own, but sometimes we can’t blame others when they just haven’t been taught certain things (for instance that you should probably shower every day ;D)


PS I have to give a shout out to Marianne Kirk for being so wonderfully amazing to bring this exhibit to us! And thanks to Melia Fidel to let us have it in herlibrary and for just being the most amazing teacher/ second mother to so many students, especially me :D

No comments:

Post a Comment