Sunday, November 1, 2009

Elementary Red Ribbon Week Assembly

Ah this was so much fun! There are few better feelings than walking in to a room full of young kids who absolutely adore you. Obviously, they don’t know me I can’t take credit for being some amazing person that they just love because they know me, but they know who Miss Murray is when she walks in with her crown and sash. It was awesome! I stood in front of them before the assembly began and they cheered for me *Miss Murray Miss Murray* I felt like a rock star!

These girls were way too cute! They ran to me as soon as they walked in the room!
However, this is not why I loved this assembly so much. I loved this assembly because it was good for the kids. Steve James has written some songs that have good meanings to them, (ie I love being me, doing drugs is bad) and our district’s music teacher has gone around to all of the elementaries and taught them the songs. Each grade got to pick their song. They performed it in the day-time assembly for each other. Then there was another assembly for their parents that night. Every elementary school in our district is doing this.
This was an awesome program for a few reasons. First, the songs taught them good values and ethics. These songs get stuck in their head and hopefully they start believing it and acting on it (no we’re not brainwashing the kids, we’re teaching them to have high self esteem and not do drugs, this is good people haha) Second, what the songs taught is actually part of the state core curriculum. I don’t know how, that’s just what was said in the assembly. Third, the kids got to experience the wonder or performing- something I’ve always loved. Fourth, the kids got to watch each other sing; they got to enjoy the art of singing. There’s just so much good that came with this program!
I loved listening to so many kids sing about good values. It gave me so much hope for the future- because the children really are the future. And I want to help them make the future bright.

Me and Officer Huber with his choice car!

PS I have to send another shout out to Marianne Kirk for getting this program into our school and realizing how important this program is. I also have to give a thank you to Steve James for being simply amazing because he does this program in way more than Murray district and he’s doing so much good! You go guy!



Me and the 6th grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment